Friday, June 20, 2014

Spring 2014 Trip, Days 10-11: Lake Bled, Slovenia

We are now in country number three of a total of four on our itinerary for this trip. We are in Slovenia, a small country that is sandwiched between Croatia, Italy, Austria, and Hungary at the north end of the Adriatic Sea. This is my second time in Slovenia, and this second visit has confirmed for me that this is one of my favorite countries in Europe. Slovenia’s biggest draw is its varied and spectacular scenery. From its sliver of Adriatic coastline to its very own section of the mighty Alps, Slovenia packs a lot of variety and natural beauty into a small package. These last two days in particular have left me awed at how spectacularly beautiful (and fun) this little country is.

Lake Bled, with the Otok on the left and the castle in the center
As you may recall from my last post, our first destination in Slovenia was Lake Bled, which we reached in the evening after a long day driving back and forth around northern Croatia on the day before yesterday. Lake Bled was going to be our home base for exploring the highlights of northern Slovenia, where we would be spending three nights. On that first evening we didn’t do much except get ourselves settled, find some dinner at a great restaurant near our hotel, and take a short walk around the lake. Lake Bled is a truly beautiful place, a small lake in the foothills of the Alps with tree-covered hills and snow-capped mountains surrounding it and a cute little island with a church in the middle. Motorized boats are not allowed on the lake and the whole area is fairly sleepy anyway, making Lake Bled a tranquil place to unwind. We had two major activities planned for Lake Bled – a drive through the Julian Alps, which would take one whole day, and then another day devoted to the sights and activities in and around Lake Bled itself.

Cream cake, a very tasty dessert specialty in Bled
Due to the weather forecast we decided to do the Alps drive on the first day and the Lake Bled stuff on the second day. The Alps terminate on their eastern end in Slovenia and Austria (forming the border between those two countries), and as such Slovenia has some spectacular mountain scenery on its northern end. We set out from Bled in the morning and drove a loop through the Alps along a road called the Vršič Pass and then back down from the mountains through the Soča River Valley. I’m finding myself saying this a lot lately, but the pictures really speak for themselves. I don’t know that there is anything I can add to them with my own words. So here they are.

The Vršič Pass in the Julian Alps
The Soča River Valley
The Julian Alps
The Julian Alps
On the second day in Bled we spent the day seeing the sights around the lake. Lake Bled has been the leading “resort” area in this region, and really for all of central Europe, for centuries. It is certainly among the most scenic places I have ever been to in Europe. Everyone there is either a tourist or someone who makes a living off the tourism industry there, and yet Bled is the kind of place where that is perfectly alright. It is a great place to simply enjoy one’s surroundings, and that is exactly what we did. We started our Lake Bled day by walking the 3.5 mile loop around the lake. It was a great way to get the lay of the land and see the more remote parts of the lake away from the main town. There was a film festival (the Bled Film Festival, to be exact) going on while we were in town and the event had a significant portion of lakefront real estate cordoned off, although pedestrians were welcome to walk through. We would occasionally see what I can only assume (or at least I prefer to believe) were famous Slovenes being interviewed on camera at various spots around the town, and there was even a red carpet/photo op spot at one end of the festival. We have since confirmed that one of the people we saw being interviewed was none other than Armand Assante, of 1997 NBC miniseries “The Odyssey” fame.

Red Carpet at the Bled Film Festival
After walking around town we took a pletna boat ride to the otok, the island in the middle of the lake. Pletna boats are traditional flat-bottomed rowboats that have been used on Lake Bled for centuries. Our pletna boat pilot was amazingly deft at maneuvering the boat with just his oars, able to row it at surprisingly high speed and spin the boat around and back it into its berth within inches of other boats. I was seriously impressed. It also occurred to me that I really want his job. By my calculations, given the number of people on the boat and the price of a round trip to the island and back (which, with a 30 minute stay on the island, took a little more than an hour), the guy brought in about 180 euros (about 244 U.S. dollars). That’s a lot of scratch for a little more than an hour of work. Plus his job a) has built in physical activity, keeping you fit and healthy, and b) would be waaaaaaaaaaaay lower stress than mine. I wish I could be a pletna boat pilot back home.

Mom and Dad on the pletna boat
Our pletna boat pilot talking to another pilot while rowing
The island with its church in the middle of the lake
Steps leading from the boat dock up to the church on the otok
After our trip to the island we had lunch and then drove up to Bled Castle, on a high cliff overlooking the lake. The castle itself was mildly interesting, dating from the middle ages when Slovenia was a territory belonging to the Habsburgs of Austria. What was really fun, however, was the opportunity I got to operate a replica of the original Gutenberg printing press. I had found a printing press shop at the castle, where a guy (whose name I am mad at myself for not remembering) was demonstrating how the press worked and telling about the history of early printing in Slovenia. They also had different custom-printed items for sale, and I wanted to have a page printed, so I explained to the guy what I wanted. He was really accommodating, letting me put together the design that I wanted, and then he actually let me do the pressing myself and even stamp the page with a wax seal. It was super cool.

Me operating the printing press at Bled Castle
After our trip to the castle we had a really nice dinner at a traditional Slovenian place near our hotel and then went to bed. The next day we left early to do some unscheduled sightseeing on our way to Ljubljana. As I finish writing this post I am about to head to bed after our last day in Ljubljana. I have a shuttle arranged to pick us up at 6:00 AM tomorrow to take us to the airport for our flight to Paris, our final destination on the trip. I am going to leave this post here, and I apologize for its brevity. I am just too tired and too busy seeing and doing to write more. I hope my pictures fill in the blanks where my writing falls short.

No comments:

Post a Comment