Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Spring 2014 Trip, Days 8-9: Plitvice Lakes, Croatia

Today’s post comes to you from Lake Bled in the mountainous northwestern reaches of Slovenia. I will have plenty to share with you about Lake Bled and Slovenia in the coming days, but first I want to talk about what we saw and did in our final two days in Croatia. For completely different reasons, both were among my best travel days in recent memory.

As you may recall from my last post we were in a city called Split on Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast. We departed Split yesterday, taking a bus from the old town to the airport just outside the city where we picked up a rental car. We then set out for Plitvice Lakes National Park, a complex of sixteen lakes connected by creeks and waterfalls in a gorgeous valley in central Croatia. Our rental car is a brand new Citroën DS4, a small four door car with a manual transmission and a diesel engine that is very fun to drive. Driving to Mostar last week wasn’t much to write home about, but yesterday and today were reminders of how much I enjoy driving in Europe. I don’t know that it’s really that much different from driving at home except that the speeds are faster, the cars I’ve rented are more fun, and it sometimes feels like you’re on a racetrack, but I like it nonetheless. We got in to Plitvice around 3:00 in the afternoon, checked in to the Soba I had reserved, and then set to planning our time at the park.

Our wheels
European porta-potties, which as it turns out are no different from American ones.
Plitvice turned out to be yet another lesson on why I prefer to travel without reservations. In my original trip itinerary I had planned on staying two nights and one full, uninterrupted day in Plitvice. As I read about the park in the days leading up to it, however, I realized that we really only needed one night and half a day or so to hike around the park before moving on to our next destination. I decided to modify our itinerary, arriving in Plitvice in the afternoon/evening and then hiking in the morning before leaving for Lake Bled in the early afternoon. So we got into Plitvice in the afternoon and I was feeling smugly clever for having worked out a better itinerary on the fly…that is, until an unforeseen necessity blew that plan out of the water.

That necessity will require a bit of background. My parents used to have three dogs. I say “used to” because one of them, a big Beauceron (here's what they look like) named Asterix, died at just eight years old due to heart disease not long before our trip. My parents (and I, for my own part) loved Asterix very much. He was a great dog. So that you can put a face to the name,here’s a YouTube video of him tossing a small car tire around in the snow backhome. Asterix’s death is still a very fresh wound for my parents, and in our down time my Dad has been reading about Beauceron breeders in Europe. He happened to learn about a very highly-regarded breeder in Croatia, in a town called Zadar, and half-jokingly raised the possibility of us detouring to go visit the breeder and meet their dogs. The first time he mentioned it my Mom and I shot the idea down, and as we headed north from Split to Plitvice and passed the exit to Zadar my Dad’s cockamamie idea seemed a thing of the past. But it wouldn’t die. He mentioned it multiple times on the way to Plitvice, and again when we got there. He never demanded that we go there, never even asked, but he clearly wanted to go very badly. This was an emotional thing for him. He wanted to see a Beauceron like Asterix again, wanted to explore the possibility of bringing another dog like Asterix into the family. We were so close; I knew that I had to accommodate his wish if at all possible. And since we had the freedom of a car and no reservations, almost anything was possible. So we made it happen.

Within a few minutes I had a new plan. We would do an abbreviated hiking loop around the park that afternoon/evening, seeing the greatest hits in a few hours, and then get up as early as possible the next day and go visit the breeder before turning back around and heading up to Lake Bled. My Dad emailed the breeder and had a response in just a few minutes. They would be happy to let us drop by. And so the new plan was settled. I did a quick bit of research about what we should see and do at the park in the limited time that we would have and then we loaded up and headed out. We were on the trails at the park by about 4:30 in the afternoon, and being a group of Michaels we were able to take in the park’s sights in record time. We actually ended up seeing as much of the park as I had planned originally, completing a full loop of the park – which should have taken four to six hours – in about three. One concession I refused to make was neglecting my trip photography. I took the time to take a ton of pictures. To do otherwise would have been criminal, as Plitvice turned out to be one of the most naturally scenic places I have ever been to. It was truly a wonder. I don’t know that I can really convey its beauty in words, however, so I’ll let my pictures do the rest of the talking.

Mom and Dad on the boardwalk trail at Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National Park
After hiking around the park we stopped for a surprisingly good and affordable dinner at one of the park’s hotel restaurants and then tried to get to bed early in order to rise early the next morning and hit the road as soon as possible to go see the breeder. Despite the absurd noise level from the group of drunk Japanese girls next door (it was so bad that the hotel staff, which were otherwise pretty inattentive, had to come tell them to quiet down – something I have never seen happen in my travels), we got some decent sleep and were up fairly early and on the road just after 8:00 the next morning (today). Unfortunately Zadar was in exactly the opposite direction of where we would have been going (Lake Bled), meaning that the side trip would take up most of, if not all, of an entire day of travel. Still we soldiered on, intent on making my Dad’s Beauceron-viewing dreams come true.

I told my Dad to tell the breeder that we would be arriving at around 10:30, which by some miracle, despite my slowness to get up and ready that morning, we did. What we would find there was nothing like what we expected. In fact, when we first saw the place we suspected we had gotten lost. The signs on the front gate warning of guard dogs within confirmed that we had in fact found the right place. It was a two story brick house that looked like it had been built by amateurs (which, if my week’s worth of observations in Croatia is any guide, is pretty normal). Side note: I mean absolutely no insult whatsoever by pointing out the amateur flavor of the breeder’s house. That being said, whatever image that pops into your mind when you read those words is probably pretty accurate. We were greeted by Maja, a middle-aged Croatian woman who spoke decent English (read: understandable but certainly not flawless). Maja was clearly a dog person from the outset, both a lover of dogs and very skilled at managing and controlling her dogs. She sat us down at an outdoor table on her patio and offered us coffee, which we were grateful for. She went inside and her mother (whose name escapes me) came out to greet us. Her mother spoke almost no English, so there wasn’t a whole lot of conversation with her. When Maja eventually emerged from the house she brought us all dishes of ice cream, cookies, the promised coffee, and some sort of fruit juice. She seemed genuinely pleased to have guests in her home and her hospitality was both impressive and greatly appreciated. We spent the next couple of hours talking to Maja about her dogs and meeting her two breeding females and her new litter of four puppies. For me it was a great cultural experience, one of those moments that I always have in every trip that I never expected, never planned, and yet will never forget. I think it was cathartic for my parents too, and as we left and made the journey to Bled I realized that I was ultimately glad that we rearranged our itinerary and made the trip down to meet Maja and her dogs.

Maja's Beaucerons, Ginger and Basanti. Ginger (on the left) looked remarkably like Asterix.
Coffee and ice cream with Maja
Beauceron puppies
I am actually finishing this blog post a day after I started it. We just got back to the hotel in Bled after a great day driving through the Julian Alps. I’ll have lots of great photos and my usual gratuitous commentary for you in the next couple of days. Until then, thanks as always for reading and as the Slovenes say, na svidenje.

No comments:

Post a Comment