Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Spring 2013 Trip, Day 1: Barcelona


For me, this day started…48? or so hours ago. In my eagerness to maximize the amount of time I spend in Europe on this trip, I somewhat foolishly decided to fly out just a few hours after I got off work on Tuesday morning. As a result, I was awake for nearly 36 hours before I landed in Barcelona. Thank goodness my hostel let me check in early and take a nap when I got here, otherwise today would have been a complete waste.

As it turned out, however, it wasn’t a waste at all, but I’ll get to that in a minute. First I’ll talk a little bit about the trip here. Put simply, it was the easiest, least eventful, and most painless trans-Atlantic flight I’ve ever had. There were no delays, no security hassles, no baggage problems, nada. I was so grateful for it too, because I was absolutely exhausted. I was lucky to have friendly and easy going seat neighbors too, which always helps. I arrived in Barcelona at almost exactly my scheduled arrival time, which seems like a rarity. The passport check was a non-event, and before long I was out on Spanish ground. My first order of business was simply to find a bed. I had read that my hostel might let me check in early, so I proceeded directly there and hoped that it would. Making the connection to downtown Barcelona was simple and easy. There was a commuter train that runs from the airport to the city center, and it shares tickets with the buses and subway, so I just bought a 10-ride metro pass (very affordable at just  9 euros) and hopped on. 20-30 minutes later I was at the Passeig de Gràcia station in central Barcelona, and 5-10 minutes after that I was at my hostel.

Checking in was easy and it didn’t take me long to slip into bed for a nap. Luckily I set an alarm, because I didn’t wake up once before it went off. I woke up at 5:00 pm and felt rested enough to do some light exploring around the city, so I consulted my guidebook for a few easy sights and then set off on foot to check them out. I decided to walk down the Passeig de Gràcia which, along with Las Ramblas to the south, forms Barcelona’s main commercial strip. That route brought me to Plaça de Catalunya, Barcelona’s huge central square. Every big city in Europe seems to have one, and Barcelona’s is characteristic, but nothing particularly special. Things got more interesting as I left Plaça de Catalunya and began to explore the Barri Gòtic.

Barcelona Apple store, which is very much like every other Apple store

Plaça de Catalunya

Actually, quick aside here about language in Barcelona. You may notice that these places - Barri Gòtic, Plaça de Catalunya, Passeig de Gràcia – don’t have very Spanish names. That’s because Spanish is not the primary language here; rather, it’s Catalan, and this is Catalunya. Catalunya is officially an “autonomous community” of Spain, kind of like a state or province, with its own language, culture, and customs which are distinct from those of Spain proper. You see the Catalan flag all over the place (horizontal stripes of yellow and red), signs are in Catalan first and then Spanish (and then sometimes English), and you hear Catalan spoken by most people on the street (although Spanish is also common and spoken by everyone).

Barri Gòtic

Anyway, back to the Barri Gòtic. Catalan may be distinct from Spanish, but it does have common roots, and so with some knowledge of Spanish it’s not hard to figure out that Barri Gòtic means “gothic quarter”. It’s the oldest part of the city, with some buildings from far back as the first century AD, when this was part of the Roman Empire. Barri Gòtic feels a little bit like Rome, although today’s weather, which turned downright nasty while I was there, put a damper on its vibrancy. The streets are tight and generally not wide enough for cars, there are little squares here and there, and it is not difficult to imagine that people walked the very same streets and saw some of the same buildings more than a thousand years ago. 

Barri Gòtic

My walk through the Barri Gòtic took me past several interesting little sights such as the century-old Restaurant Els Quatre Gats, where Pablo Picasso himself used to hang out, the Barcelona Cathedral, and Barcelona’s little Jewish quarter. 

Architectural college in the Barri Gòtic with frieze designed by Picasso (I assume the giant Ray Ban ad came later)

Barcelona Cathedral

Roman towers circa ~100 AD in the Barri Gòtic

A neat little courtyard in the Barri Gòtic

A Hebrew inscription with Catalan or Spanish translation (I wasn't sure which) in the Jewish quarter

Those sights were cool and allowed me to get a few good photos, but then a monsoon the likes of which I have never seen in Europe struck without warning. Even with a rain jacket it was seriously like taking a shower. Luckily Barcelona has a good subway system, so I was able to make about half of the journey back to my hostel under cover, but the other half was more than enough to get me absolutely soaked. Like, I might as well have jumped in a pond. By that time it was getting late anyway, and I was still very tired, so I decided at that point to turn in for the day.

I think that’s about all I have the energy to write today. I have so much more to write and talk about, such as my impressions from my very first exposure to a hostel, my impressions about Barcelona’s people and culture, and much more, but for now I’m going to leave it here and save that for another post. Tomorrow I intend to do some real sightseeing, so I should have more of actual interest to share tomorrow. For now I bid you all good night, and I hope all is well back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment