Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spring Trip 2013, Days 12 - 14: Dordogne

Today I am in Beynac-et-Cazenac, a medieval village in the Dordogne region of southwest France. I have been here for the last two and a half days, and will be departing for the Loire Valley on Wednesday. Today marks the halfway point of my trip, which is too bad in a way, because I feel like I am just hitting my stride. Sevilla was a wonderful place to visit, and the Dordogne has been even more so. It isn't any single sight or aspect that makes this area unique and special; rather, it is the combination of everything that it does have which makes it one of the most enjoyable places I’ve ever been to in Europe.

I've got wheels now
First and perhaps foremost, the Dordogne is simply a beautiful area. Principally it is a long and wide river valley formed by the Dordogne River. It is covered with trees which are intermittently broken up by meadows and small agricultural fields, all of which are situated on the gently rising slopes on each side of the valley. Near the river are several medieval villages, including the one I am staying in, Beynac, featuring beautiful medieval stone buildings which have been carefully preserved for generations. Along with these villages are several impressive medieval castles which have also been remarkably well preserved. Perched high up at strategic points on the sides of the valley, these castles are both visually stunning and historically evocative. And finally there is the river itself, gently winding its way through the valley and providing a shimmering ribbon which perfectly adorns this already near-perfect place.

The Dordogne River Valley

A roadside shot taken from my car somewhere in the Dordogne

A view of the Dordogne River Valley from Beynac
In addition to the Dordogne’s visual beauty, there is the history and medieval character that I have already mentioned. In particular you see it in the villages, with their aforementioned medieval buildings and narrow, winding streets, and in the many great castles which dot the valley’s landscape. While the villages and castles have some modern adornments now, it is not difficult to tell that what we see here today is very much like what people saw here in the Middle Ages. In the Dordogne you can walk the same streets and step into the same buildings that people here were living in several hundred years ago. You particularly feel a connection to days of yore in the Dordogne’s castles. I toured the Château de Castelnaud and the Château de Beynac yesterday, both of which were built and used in rivalry with one another in the Middle Ages. The Château de Castelnaud has excellent exhibits and an English guide which brings the castle to life, showing visitors what life, and in particular war, was like there in the Middle Ages. As you peek through the arrow slits, peer over the ramparts, and gaze up at the high walls of the Château de Castelnaud, you can’t help but imagine what it would have been like to have lived and fought there in its heyday. You can then apply the lessons learned about medieval life and warfare at Castelnaud to the Château de Beynac, which is sparse on English descriptions but provides a grander, more visually appealing setting where you can let your medieval fantasies come to life.

(Warning: I'm about to go a little photo crazy here. I can't help it - France is just très photogénique)

Sarlat
Beynac
Domme
Château de Beynac
Interior of the Château de Beynac
Ramparts at the Château de Castelnaud
Beynac
Castelnaud (as you can tell, I like taking pictures through doors/tunnels)
Château de Castelnaud
Beynac
Beynac
Finally, the area around the Dordogne has some of the best-preserved prehistoric cave paintings in the world. If you’ve ever seen pictures of or heard of prehistoric cave paintings, they probably came from here. There are several sites to choose from, and I chose two – Lascaux II and Grotte de Rouffignac. At Lascaux II you get an excellent primer on prehistoric cave paintings. Lascaux II actually isn’t prehistoric at all – rather, it is a painstakingly reproduced replica of the nearby original Lascaux cave paintings, considered the best and most significant prehistoric cave paintings in existence. At Lascaux II they have reproduced the exact shape and surface of the original cave using concrete and resin, and utilizing prehistoric techniques, have reproduced the paintings from the original Lascaux cave to within five millimeters (they claim). They created the reproduction because in the fifteen years that the original Lascaux was open to the public, from 1948 to 1963, the original paintings suffered severe degradation due to exposure to fungus, carbon dioxide, and humidity that came along with the hordes of visitors. Thus in 1963 Lascaux was closed, and in 1983 the reproduction at Lascaux II was finished and opened to the public so that people could still experience the wonder of the Lascaux cave paintings without destroying them. At the Gotte de Rouffignac, you get to see the real thing. A little tram takes you a kilometer deep into the cavernous hillside, where you get to see original cave paintings from approximately 13,000 years ago in exactly the place and condition that they were painted in. The experience in both places is profound. When you see the paintings in person it becomes clear that they are not mere amateur scrawlings on a random cave wall. Rather, they would have taken significant skill and effort to produce. The paintings are deep within the caves, with some in places where the artists would have had to crawl significant distances to get to. At Lascaux there is evidence that scaffolding was constructed and used in the execution of the paintings, and their size, detail, and anatomical accuracy would have required considerable time investment and mastery of technique. In all of the cave paintings in the area, the principal subjects are the large animals which existed at the time of their execution: mammoths, whooly rhinoceros, horses, reindeer, etc. One of the ways that we know the paintings are authentic is that they depict anatomical details of the animals that were not known to modern people until very recent archaeological discoveries revealed them. But for as much as is known about the paintings, there is a great deal more that is not. Why were they painted? What was their purpose? Why did these prehistoric artists only paint animals, and why are there so few depictions of people? These are questions that we will never know the answers to. But in viewing these paintings, we can see that while separated by many thousands of years, in many ways we are not so different from the people who created them.

(Unfortunately you can't take pictures of any of the cave paintings - Google "Lascaux" or "Grotte de Font-de-Gaume" or "Grotte de Rouffignac" to see images)

The entrance to the Grotte de Rouffignac
The preceding paragraphs are the best summary that I can come up with of what makes the Dordogne a special place to visit, but there are also two other experiences that I’ve had here that I want to share and that have made these last three days particularly good ones. First is the wonderful experience I’ve had at the place I am staying at. It is a bed and breakfast place called Le Petite Versailles, just outside of Beynac. It is run by an older couple, Jean Claude and Francoise, who have got to be the nicest, most caring and attentive hosts I have ever had in Europe. Theirs is a gorgeous old stone country house in a perfectly tranquil setting, with simple yet warm and comfortable rooms. They have an “English” breakfast in the morning, where all of the guests sit at one table and enjoy the biggest, most delicious hotel breakfast I have ever had in my travels, all cooked by Francoise. Even if the Dordogne were less wonderful than it is, it would be worth coming here just to stay at this B&B. It really is that good. But considering that the Dordogne is also among the best destinations I have ever visited in Europe, I am determined to come back and stay here again. One of the other guests who I befriended at breakfast, Richard, told me that he has stayed here before and that Jean Claude and Francoise have talked about retiring in the near future, so I’ll have to come back soon before they do.

My French home away from home
The other experience I’ve had here that I want to talk about is dinner. Simply put, I had one of the best meals of my life on my first night here at a little restaurant in Beynac called La Petite Tonnelle (side thought: is everything here called La/Le Petite _____ ?). I picked it out of my guidebook, although if I had just dropped into Beynac and walked into one of its restaurants, I would have had a one in three chance of picking it anyway. I try hard not to make qualitative comparisons between Europe and the United States, but one thing I will say in violation of that rule is that the restaurant experience in Europe, when it is good, is generally much better than back home. That is particularly true in France, where meals are a more important part of life than they are back home (or even in other parts of Europe). One does not rush things here, particularly not dinner. Quality is much more important than quantity or rapidity. Dinner is to be enjoyed and remembered, not merely to satisfy your hunger and quickly forget about. While there are usually more affordable options (such as the €7.50 doner kebab I had for dinner tonight), prices at most restaurants reflect the greater value French people put on the quality dinner experience. For instance, my dinner on that first night cost about $55, which might seem a bit high or even outrageous to some (and I’ll admit that I would never routinely spend that much on a meal for just myself), but it was completely worth it. The setting, in the heart of charmingly medieval Beynac, was perfect. The service was excellent and typically French. The wait staff are there not just to take your order and bring you food and drink and the bill, but rather to facilitate an excellent and memorable meal for you. They helped me with my selections, made sure that I was comfortable and happy, and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring that I had the best experience possible. As for the food, it was wonderful. The first course was fresh asparagus from Castelnaud, just across the river from Beynac, with a salad and some sort of semi-cured bacon-like stuff. The second course was noisette of lamb (basically little lamb steaks) with a basil sauce, a sort of crispy pastry cone thing filled with couscous with a tangy, slightly spicy red sauce, and some lentils. I’m not sure what dessert was – some sort of mousse thing with nuts and some crispy things stuck in the top and a caramel sauce (can you sense the depth of my culinary knowledge yet?). To drink with it all I had one of my favorite beers that you often see in France (although it is actually Belgian), Leffe Blonde, and a big bottle of Vittel mineral water. Everything was perfect, and incredibly delicious. As is typical of good French cuisine, everything was also very local. Aside from the beer and the mineral water, I am sure almost all of the ingredients came from within a 50 mile radius of Beynac, if not closer. And as is also typical of good French cuisine, everything was carefully prepared and creatively presented. By the time I was finished, paid the bill, and told the wait staff that everything had been très délicieux, I realized that I had been at the restaurant for almost two hours. But those were two hours very well spent.

It is now early in the evening on my third and final day in the Dordogne. Tomorrow I leave for the Loire Valley, where I will begin the downhill slope, the second half of my trip. I will truly regret having to leave Jean Claude and Francoise and their lovely home, but I fully intend to come back some time before they retire. For now, however, it’s about time to seek some dinner, so I’ll go do that, but I look forward to the opportunity to share more of my experiences with you all from the Loire in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment