Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spring Trip 2013, Days 6 & 7: Toledo (this time with pictures and commentary)

Anyone who may be getting to this blog in any way other than my links on Facebook may have noticed my short post about Toledo a couple of days ago. This post will be the promised continuation of that train of thought. I am in Granada now, and I'm only just now getting around to posting this because I haven't had wi-fi since Madrid. I'm planning on doing a Granada post tomorrow night.

My stay in Toledo was short, just a day and a half and two nights. Toledo is just a half hour train ride from Madrid, but the reason why my first day was just a half was because I spent the first part of that day touring the Reina Sofia modern art museum in Madrid. Modern art isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but there was one painting there – Picasso’s Guernica – which was absolutely worth the trip. Unfortunately they don’t let you take pictures of it, so if you’re interested in seeing it you’ll have to google it. Picasso painted it in response to the aerial bombing of Guernica, a town in northern Spain, during the Spanish Civil War. In Picasso’s signature Cubist style, the painting stirringly conveys the pain, terror, and chaos of the event as it must have been for the people who experienced it. I have loved and been impressed by many pieces of art, but rarely have I been so moved as I was by Guernica. Anyone who wants to start a war should be required to spend ten minutes viewing and pondering that painting.

Madrid's train station has a miniature jungle that looks like it's out of a set from Jurassic Park

After the Reina Sofia I hopped on the train to Toledo and got in to town around 3:30. Toledo is a medieval city, strategically placed up on a hill and with a river protecting it on three sides. As such, it’s a steep climb to get to the center of town. I took the city bus, which winds through impossibly narrow streets and up to the Plaza de Zocodover, the city’s central square. Total time from when my train arrived to when I got off the bus at Plaza de Zocodover was probably 15-20 minutes, which was nice. My hotel is a great little budget place called Hostal Centro, right off of Plaza de Zocodover. For not too much more than what a hostel bed would cost, I have a nice, comfortable little room with a bathroom, in a perfect location right in the center of town. The staff is professional and friendly (I say “staff” but I’ve only actually seen one person, the lady at the front desk, so far) and seem happy to indulge me by not jumping immediately to English when they realize by my accent that I’m not a native Spanish speaker. I really appreciate it when people let me get by in the local language, giving me the chance to practice and get better. They win a special place in my heart when they help me with my language skills rather than revert immediately to English in order to get rid of me as quickly as possible.

A typical street in Toledo

Before I go any further, I should give you a little bit of background on Toledo. First, it is an old place; people have been living here for more than 2,000 years. Toledo, or whatever it was called in ancient times, wasn't much of anything until the Moors came from North Africa and established the Muslim kingdom of Al-Andalus in the 8th century AD. It became an important city under Spanish Muslim rule for more than 300 years, during which time Muslims, Jews, and Christians all lived here and coexisted peacefully. The city was conquered in 1085 by Spanish Christians as part of the Reconquista, and it remained an important city under Christian rule, eventually flowering in the late Middle Ages into the religious and political capital of Spain. But then the Spanish monarchy moved to nearby Madrid in the 16th century, and Toledo became little more than a novelty. That may be why it has changed very little since then, which is fortunate for us, because today in Toledo we see a medieval city which looks very much like it did centuries ago.


Another street shot in Toledo

I wanted to give that brief introduction to Toledo’s history before I go any further because it was Toledo’s historic character which struck me most as I first began to explore it. I didn’t have much of a plan or itinerary for the rest of that day, so I decided to get a map and wander around the city for a bit. While not strictly pedestrianized, the city’s streets are so narrow and labyrinthine that driving a car through the old town would be a fool’s errand. Many of the streets are covered overhead by old Moorish-style canvas canopies, which I imagine would be essential in the summer sun (it’s still not very hot here yet though – about mid 70s and sunny). The buildings look like they could be (and probably are) at least a few centuries old. I know for a fact that the cathedral, which is the city’s main attraction, is from the late Middle Ages (construction took place from 1226 – 1495). But in addition to the city’s age, you can also feel the Moorish influence, such as in the Arabesque keyhole arches you find here and there, in the geometric designs featured in various bits of wall art, in the labyrinthine street plan, etc. You can tell that this is not like the rest of Europe just by walking the city’s streets, and that is probably a big reason why it has been and remains a major tourist attraction.

The Moorish influence in Toledo is evident

A Moorish-style courtyard at the Santa Cruz Museum in Toledo

And now that I’ve mentioned tourism, I think it is only fair to note that Toledo is majorly touristy (and not in a good way). It doesn’t make this a bad place to visit, but it certainly doesn’t help. There are probably more cheap souvenir shops than there are restaurants, bars, and hotels combined. There is a little cart-driven “train” that putts tourists around town and out to exterior viewpoints around the city. There is even a little store that specializes in “American” goods (featured in its window display is a box of Cap’n Crunch). All of that can be a bit of a drag, as it begins to feel like the city is just a cheap show and you, the visitor, are just a slack-jawed yokel there to open your wallet and shut off your brain. When I put Toledo on my list of places to visit in Spain, I hoped to find a place where Spain’s historic mix of cultures was still alive, where I would be able to catch a glimpse of what this place was like when it was under Moorish rule. And you do get a bit of that, which still makes this place worth coming to, but you also get a healthy dose of the less savory stuff too.

Anyway, I’m done lecturing now and for the rest of this post I’ll stick to talking about the sights I saw on the next day, my only full day in Toledo. I got a late start, as my first taste of Spanish TV kept me up later than I normally have been (they had “My Name is Earl” dubbed in Spanish – not much lost in translation – and also a great soccer match). I wasn’t too worried about the late start though because my sightseeing agenda was not terribly full. My plan was to see the cathedral in the morning, walk over to the Santo Tome chapel to see an El Greco painting, and then visit the Santa Cruz museum in the afternoon. I don’t know that there’s a whole lot of interest to say about it all. The cathedral was cool, with clear reflections of the broader Gothic style of architecture but with Spanish Catholic embellishments (lots of gold). The El Greco painting (El Greco was a great Greek painter with a distinctive style who lived and worked in Spain during the late Renaissance) was exquisite, and doubly cool because it is still housed in the church that he painted it for. The Santa Cruz museum houses fifteen other El Greco paintings, which were also very good. El Greco isn’t my favorite artist, but I can certainly appreciate his excellent work, and one thing I like about him is that you can instantly tell an El Greco painting apart from any other just by glancing at it. The Santa Cruz museum was also cool because it is in a Renaissance building but with a Moorish-style interior, complete with landscaped courtyard and fountain.  After the Santa Cruz museum I was kind of out of stuff to do, so I wandered the streets some more to make sure I got plenty of good pictures (which is really probably the highlight of visiting Toledo), and then turned in to my hotel room to do some planning for my next destination (Granada) and to write this post.

Toledo Cathedral exterior

Toledo Cathedral interior

An El Greco painting - not my favorite artist, but he has a very distinctive style

It’s almost Spanish dinner time now and I promised myself that I would eat something worthwhile for dinner tonight, so I’m off to do just that. Thank you for reading, and look for my next post from Granada probably on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment