Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Spring Trip 2013, Days 6 & 7: Toledo

Since my last post I made the short journey from Madrid to Toledo, where I have been spending the last day and a half. While there have been people living here for more than 2,000 years, the city that exists today is an old medieval city, originally occupied by the Moorish people of the Muslim Al-Andalus kingdom from 711 to 1085. Toledo was then conquered by Christians in the Reconquista, and later flowered under Christian rule into the religious and political capital of Spain. Then in the 16th century the Spanish monarchy moved to Madrid and left Toledo to its own devices, which is probably why even today it looks very much like it did centuries ago. Toledo feels like an old place with a rich multi-cultural heritage. Muslims, Jews, and Christians lived harmoniously here for hundreds of years, and still do. You see evidence of its multi-cultural history all over; in the labyrinthine street pattern, the art, the architecture, etc. Toledo is a pretty cool place, although kind of touristy now.

Unfortunately I can't share pictures or write much more right now because I don't have wi-fi here and haven't had any since my hostel in Madrid. I am typing this post on my phone and using up my limited bandwidth, so I'll have to leave it here. I'm heading to Granada tomorrow, where I hope I'll be able to find wi-fi so that I can share some of the cool pictures I've taken here.

Pero para ahora, adios!

- Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment